Allow standard user to create and manage scheduled reports when using UAC

Questions and Answers asked by users to users, about how others use Jet Reports.

For additional "how to" information, please visit our online Knowledge Base https://jetsupport.jetreports.com/hc/en ... ofessional
Forum rules
The Jet Reports Community forums are not a guaranteed support medium. Official support for Jet Reports is available only through the support desk at http://support.jetreports.com. Staff responses to posts on the forum are not guaranteed.
eds89

Allow standard user to create and manage scheduled reports when using UAC

Postby eds89 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:59 am

Hi all,

Could someone point me to the correct documentation on how to allow a standard user to create and manage scheduled reports?
I believe this is a Windows change that needs to be made, either on permissions of tasks folder or a domain group policy setting, but can't be 100% sure.

I have tried assigning a user full control over the tasks folder, but when scheduling a report, they are still challenged by UAC to enter admin credentials.

Many thanks
Eds

HPDeskJet
Jet Reports Certified Professional

Re: Allow standard user to create and manage scheduled reports when using UAC

Postby HPDeskJet » Tue May 02, 2017 7:35 am

Hello Eds -

The Jet Scheduler serves as a Jet-specific interface to the Windows Task Scheduler.

As you observed, the Jet Scheduler is run with elevated permissions in order to have sufficient access to create tasks (a few years ago, Microsoft introduced some substantial new security around the Windows Task Scheduler (Microsoft KB2836942 and KB2836943).

If the permissions of your users are sufficient to use the Windows Task Scheduler without elevated permissions, you can turn off the feature that requires that elevation:
sched_uac.png
sched_uac.png (40.92 KiB) Viewed 322 times
-HP

eds89

Postby eds89 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:08 am

Hi HP,

Thanks for your reply.

Initially, the user did in fact have that option ticked, but then when trying to open the scheduler, they were challenged by UAC for admin credentials.
When unticking the option, they can open the scheduler, but then can't schedule tasks as they get challenged by UAC for credentials when clicking schedule.

I can't find any concrete articles from Microsoft on how to enable users the deal with scheduled tasks, which is probably what I need to know/do to correct this.

Can you advise on any documentation on how to allow standard users to create and schedule tasks?

Cheers
Eds

HPDeskJet

Postby HPDeskJet » Tue May 02, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Eds -

Because of the increased security that was introduced in 2013 around the Windows Task Scheduler, I know of no way to schedule Windows tasks without elevated permissions.

On my own machine, I maintain a non-admin user account (my "network account") and a local admin account. When I schedule a task, I use my local admin credentials (both to access the Scheduler - either Jet or Windows - and for the credentials saved with the task).
-HP

eds89

Postby eds89 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:34 am

Hi HP,

I see.
So is it the case, that standard users really are not expected to be able to schedule reports anymore?

Cheers
Eds

HPDeskJet

Postby HPDeskJet » Tue May 02, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Eds -

As far as I know, scheduling a Windows Task from any tool other than the Windows Task Scheduler (the WTS is part of the Administrative Tools in the Windows Control Panel), requires admin permissions.

I am able to create what is referred to as a "Basic Task" in the WTS and run it when I am logged in. However, my user account cannot create a regular (non-Basic) Windows Task.
wts.png
-HP

eds89

Postby eds89 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 am

Ok.

So if I want to allow standard non-admin users to schedule JetReports, I will have to disable UAC?

Thanks
Eds

HPDeskJet

Postby HPDeskJet » Wed May 03, 2017 7:31 am

Hi Eds -

In order to create tasks in the Windows Task Scheduler, the user must have sufficient permissions.

Although I personally would not disable the UAC (I prefer having my separate local admin account, since I feel it this is the safer route), other users (and system admins) may feel differently.
-HP

eds89

Postby eds89 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 am

Hi HP,

Thanks.

So you personally can't advise on how to assign users the appropriate permissions within Windows to create tasks?
I too do not want to disable UAC, but at this point in time, with UAC enabled standard users cannot create tasks.

I cannot assign them local admin accounts, as they should not have any admin privileges.

Many thanks.
Eds

HPDeskJet

Postby HPDeskJet » Wed May 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Eds -

In addition to *not* running the Scheduler as admin, your other option is to require that the user be logged in when running the task.

By doing so, elevated permissions are not required to create or run the task:
admin-yes.png
admin-no.png
-HP

eds89

Postby eds89 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 am

Ahhhhh.

Ok I didn't think to try that!
I will have a go and see what happens.

Many thanks
Eds