Scheduler with Pivot Table - Error Log Message

Put your best Excel related tips and tricks here.
Forum rules
This is the place to put all of your Excel Tips & Tricks.
njvolz

Scheduler with Pivot Table - Error Log Message

Postby njvolz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:00 am

I was trying to run a Scheduler for a spreadsheet containing both a Jet Report Table and a Pivot Table. I was getting no output, and Excel would hang and hang, looping in the Task Manager, etc. The Error Log showed this message (in essence):

"2012-09-11 15.47.52 File '\\sbs01\data\Finance\Jet Reports Data\CNC Distribution_Report_Jet.xlsx' could not be opened. The following error was reported:

The message filter indicated that the application is busy. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8001010A (RPC_E_SERVERCALL_RETRYLATER))"

We solved it by googling the message-turns out if your Pivot table is set to "refresh on opening" it can interfere with Scheduler completing the run. We unchecked this option and it now works as expected.

Hope this can help someone else!

-John

Jan
Jet Reports MVP
Jet Reports MVP

Re: Scheduler with Pivot Table - Error Log Message

Postby Jan » Mon May 26, 2014 4:58 am

Hi John,

I know this topic is nearly two years old but I've encountered the same issue today, with the same solution.
It was the latest Jet Reports 2013, so I'm suspecting it's some office version/update that is the culprit. It was an office 2007.

Solution (as given by njvolz above):
1) Select the pivot table in the report
2) In the pivot table context ribbon, select "options", then in the "data" tab, deselect "refresh data on opening"
3) Repeat for every pivot on the report

Thanks again for posting your findings and solutions.
Join the JetReports community LinkedIn group:
http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/84724

Return to “Excel Tips & Tricks”