Sorting in numeric order, not by first digit

Come in, say hi, introduce yourself. Let us know what your specialty is and what you're interested in. Don't be shy! We want everyone to feel welcome.
Beth

Sorting in numeric order, not by first digit

Postby Beth » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Hello, Everyone!

I'm trying to figure out how to get numeric results to sort in actual numeric order, not by the first digit. When we updated our NAV version recently, that was the first time we saw results sorted that way.

Is there a way for the results to be sorted in numerical order in JetReports (and in NAV for that matter).

Thanks for your help!

JasonT

Re: Sorting in numeric order, not by first digit

Postby JasonT » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi Beth.

I am guessing you are referring to a number in Navision that starts with a 0 like 0034. If Excel sorted 5, 0034, and 24 I believe the order would actually show as 0034, 5, 24. The problem is that Excel is ordering these to include the leading zeros.

I just did some testing and I thought this function would work, but it is giving an error: =NL("Rows","Customer","No.","-=TEXT(VALUE(NF(,""No."")),""#"")","*")

The easiest way would be to use Jet Enterprise and just add a field to the table that strips off the zeros that you can use. If you don't have Jet Enterprise though I don't know a good way to accomplish this. Maybe someone else can get my function working?

Sorry I'm not more help.

JT

Beth

Re: Sorting in numeric order, not by first digit

Postby Beth » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:31 pm

JT,

I am trying sort by "Global Dimension 1 Code" and instead of sorting as "1, 4, 5, 10, 41", JetReports sorts as "1, 10, 4, 41, 5" seemingly by the first digit.

We have Essentials, so it seems that I won't' be able to try your solution.

Thanks for your help!

Beth

Return to “Introductions”